Ballston BID's Top Bike Tips
Warmer days are perfect for leaving the car in the garage and taking the bike to work, or even just for a leisurely ride around the neighborhood. We have partnered up with the Arlington County Police Department to give you some tips to help keep you safe while you're enjoying your ride in Ballston.
1. Always wear a properly-fitted helmet and bright, visible clothing, especially when riding at night.
2. Routinely check your bike to ensure that tires are inflated, brake pads are working properly, and that the chains and gears are running smoothly. Need help? Take your bike to your local bike shop - they'll be more than happy to help. Freshbikes, located at 3924 Wilson Blvd, has six-full time mechanics on staff to ensure top quality service and tune-ups. Want to learn to fix your ride on your own? Phoenix Bikes hosts a monthly Open Shop Night to teach community members bike fixes for free.
3. If you're riding on the road, make sure you are aware of your surroundings, indicating your intentions, and obeying traffic laws; bicyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles.
4. Carry your identification and cellphone with you in case of emergencies.
5. When parking your bike, always use a sturdy lock, such as a U-Lock, to secure your bike to something strong and immovable, preferably a bike rack.
6. Register your bike with the Arlington County Police Department to help the police department recover your bike in the event that it is stolen. Fill out the Bicycle Registration Form here and receive a decal for each bike you register in approximately one week.
Feeling ready to hit the road? Take your bike out on a spin at Freshbikes and the Arlington County Police's Tuesday Night Ride on Tuesday, August 1. The ride begins promptly at 6:30pm and leaves from Mosaic Park behind the Ballston location of Freshbikes at 3924 Wilson Blvd. The Tuesday Night Ride Series are a series of no-drop bicycle rides for all abilities that occur the first Tuesday of every month. After each ride Baja Fresh will provide fajitas for the riders. See more information on the Tuesday Night Ride Series here.
For more information on biking in Ballston and Arlington, visit the BikeArlington website.